Song Crush : Poison by Rita Ora

6:08 PM 0 Comments A+ a-




I do love Rita Ora ever since Ora’s debut album because it had a great selection of party songs that showcased her superb vocals at the same time. How We Do (party) is really a cool song. It’s anthemic and immediately makes you want to pick up the nearest hairbrush and sing as fervently into it as possible.

I love her music and did not keep in eye to her love life until her ex-boyfriend, Calvin Harris dated Taylor Swift. I love that tall couple but when I heard she put on hold her album after a very public breakup,Many, myself included, were disappointed with the way things ended because the album was sure to be a stunner.

However now she crafts songs that have true appeal. She’s a hit-smith with clout and energy, and although her tunes belong firmly in the realm of the mainstream, they’re never overproduced or generic. With Poison Ora has turned out another hook driven masterpiece that genuinely connects with its audience.

Rita’s strength has always lain within her choruses, and the melodic center of Poison is as strong as her very best work. The track’s centerpiece is infectious and edgy, matching as it does a genuine sense of euphoria with an ever so slightly dark edge – Ora is after all, singing about a relationship that might not be toxic, but is certainly troubled.

I can see Rita wanted to make a statement as an artist with Poison and she has definitely done that, it is a very hard song to ignore simply because it so effortlessly and powerfully pulls listeners in whether they like it or not. What makes the song even better? It’s music video. I could go into the meaning of the video as representing Rita’s complicated relationship with the music industry – it’s all her hopes and dreams, everything she could ever want, until things start going wrong and she wants to go back to her old life but by that time her old life is either gone or has been enveloped and tainted by her fame – but why bother with all that stuff when what really matters is that the video is absolutely visually stunning. Rita looks absolutely gorgeous in various different beautiful outfits and looks, the whole thing feels high class and sexy with just that hint of darkness and grime that makes anything ten times better. With the visuals for Poison, Rita has created a very clear and distinct character and brought her to life in a striking way that, much like the song itself, is hard to ignore.

Poison sits as another chevron on Rita’s decorated sleeve: she is a genuinely combative, genuinely brilliant artist. Commercial pop needs her presence the way a broken arm needs a sling.

Listen to her song   :



The lyrics:

I could have beer for breakfast
My sanity for lunch
Trying to get over how bad I want you so much
Innocence for dinner
Pour something in my cup
Anything and everything just to fill me up
But nothing ever gets me high like this

I pick my poison and it's you
Nothing can kill me like you do
You're going straight to my head
And I'm heading straight for the edge
I pick my poison and it's you
I pick my poison and it's you

I can feel you whisper and laying on the floor
I try to stop but I keep on coming back for more
I’m a light-weight and I know it
Cause after the first time, I was falling, falling down
Nothing ever gets me high like this
I pick my poison and it's you
Nothing can kill me like you do
You're going straight to my head
And I'm heading straight for the edge
I pick my poison and it's you
I pick my poison and it's you

Bittersweet ecstasy
That you got me in
Falling deep
I can't sleep tonight
And you made me feel like I'm out of my mind
But it's alright, it's alright, it's alright
Bittersweet ecstasy
That you got me in
Falling deep
I can't sleep tonight
And you made me feel like I'm out of my mind
Oh but it's alright, it's alright, it's alright

Nothing ever gets me high like this

I pick my poison and it's you
Nothing can kill me like you do
You're going straight to my head
And I'm heading straight for the edge
I pick my poison and it's you
I pick my poison and it's you